- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (canola, sunflower, safflower)
- 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee (can use a heaping teaspoon of coffee substitute, i.e. Krakus and add it to the dry ingredients and use the one cup of cold water)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons Blackberry Vinegar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, coffee substitute and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or a 9 inch round baking pan. In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water or coffee and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Thanks to Bree’s mom Judi for this recipe!